The creator of the hit HBO series “Succession” says that the upcoming fourth season will be the last
THE ANGELS — The creator of HBO’s hit series “Succession” says the upcoming fourth season will be his last.
Jesse Armstrong told The New Yorker in an article posted online Thursday that he wanted fans of the show to know the end was coming.
“I quite like that idea, creatively, because then the audience can enjoy everything as it comes, without trying to figure things out or perceive things a certain way once they know it’s the final season,” Armstrong said.
“Succession” follows a wealthy family that owns a major media conglomerate and struggles to maintain its power. It stars Brian Cox as the patriarch of the Roy family and Jeremy Strong as one of his sons who conspire to succeed his father as head of the company.
HBO confirmed that the fourth season that will premiere next month will be the last.
The show has won 13 Emmy Awards so far, including several for Armstrong for writing and drama series honors in 2020 and 2022.
“I never thought this could go on forever. The ending has always been on my mind,” Armstrong told the New Yorker. “Since season 2, I’ve been trying to think: is it the next one, or the next one, or the next one?”
Armstrong may not leave all the characters behind. While he said ending the show now will result in a “meaty” resolution, he’s also open to revisiting some of the characters in another project.
“When I’ve talked to some of my collaborators, like: Maybe there’s another part of this world we could go back to, if there was an appetite? Maybe there’s something else that can be done that builds on the good of the way we’ve worked on this,” Armstrong said.